2 Nov 2012
Ok ke protein diet ni? Jom kita baca..
High-protein diets have become a popular way to lose weight because emerging research has hinted that protein may be able to satisfy hunger better than either fats or carbohydrates.
What Studies Show
Participants in a study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition reported greater satisfaction, less hunger, and weight loss when fat was reduced to 20% of the total calories in their diets, protein was increased to 30%, and carbs accounted for 50%. The study participants ate some 441 fewer calories a day when they followed this high-protein diet and regulated their own calorie intake.
Another study, reported in the Journal of Nutrition, showed that a high-protein diet combined with exercise enhanced weight and fat loss and improved blood fat levels. Researchers suggest that higher-protein diets help people better control their appetites and calorie intake.
Diets higher in protein and moderate in carbs, along with a lifestyle of regular exercise are often purported by experts to reduce blood fats and maintain lean tissue while burning fat for fuel without dieters being sidetracked with constant hunger.
Researchers don’t understand exactly how protein works to turn down appetite. They surmise that it may be because a high-protein diet causes the brain to receive lower levels of appetite-stimulating hormones. It may be due to eating fewer carbs and/or the specific protein effect on hunger hormones and brain chemistry.
More research is needed before experts can make sweeping recommendations that people boost the protein in their diets, according to the American Dietetic Association.
How Much Do You Need?
We need protein at all stages of life, for a variety of bodily functions. It’s the major component of all cells, including muscle and bone. It’s needed for growth, development, and immunity to fight off infections and protect the body.
The Institute of Health’s Dietary Reference Intake (DRI) recommendations allow for a wide range of protein intake – anywhere from 10% to 35% of total calories – for normal, healthy adults. For example, on an 1,800 calorie diet, you could safely consume anywhere from 45 grams (that’s 10% of calories) to 218 grams (35%) of protein per day.
However, the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for protein is 56 grams a day for men and 46 grams a day for women. Most Americans have no problem getting this much, but would struggle to take in enough protein to make up 35% of their calories.
That said, is it possible to eat too much protein? There are no dangers associated with higher intakes of protein – unless you have kidney disease.
To get the potential weight loss benefit, experts advise aiming for around 120 grams of protein a day. If you want to increase your protein intake, do it slowly over the course of a week.
To be on the safe side, check with your doctor before adding large amounts of protein to your diet.